What type of schools is the Valor Academy of Leadership and what grades are offered?
Valor Academy of Leadership consist of two Duval County charter schools: middle and high. Parents/Guardians can register 6th – 10th grade students for the 2016-2017 school-year. Additional grades will be added each year resulting in grades 6-12.
What is a charter school?
A charter school is a public school of choice that operates with freedom from many of the regulations that apply to traditional public schools. The “charter” is a performance contract detailing the school’s mission, programs, goals, students served, methods of assessment, and ways to measure success. The basic concept of charter schools is that they exercise increased autonomy in return for this accountability.
What is the mission and vision for Valor Academy of Leadership?
Our mission is to holistically prepare young men to be responsible life-long learners who take an active role in improving the future of Jacksonville and the global community. Our vision is that every Valor Man will be academically accomplished, morally sound, professionally skilled, and socially distinguished. The mission of Valor Academy of Leadership is to holistically prepare young men to be responsible life-long learners who take an active role in improving the future of Jacksonville and the global community.
Where is Valor Academy of Leadership located?
Valor Academy is nestled in the heart of the city’s Northside, our school is located at 4819 Soutel Drive, Jacksonville, FL 32208.
What is the dress code for the school?
All students must wear the designated school uniform. Parents are responsible for expense. *Scholarships are available (On a limited basis).
How do students enroll? Is enrollment restricted to African-American boys? Can girls enroll?
All are welcome to enroll as we operate in accordance with Florida statutes for non-discrimination. However, as stated in our mission, we focus on preparing urban male students for successful academic careers. Student enrollment is based on receipt of the application and meeting enrollment requirements, which include but are not limited to school records, immunization and physical forms, and a signed Parent Contract. The process is easy: simply complete a paper application or apply online at www.valoracademyjax.org. If the number of applications received exceeds the number of open seats available, we will hold a lottery to allocate open seats. Once classes are filled all other applicants will be placed on a waiting list and selected based on available space and date of application receipt. Valor Academy does not have any admissions requirements. We accept students regardless of prior academic record, conduct, or socioeconomic background.
Are there any fees associated with attending Valor Academy of Leadership Charter Schools?
We are a tuition free, public charter school, but there are some fees for certain items i.e. extended day, lunch, extra-curricular activities, field-trips and other miscellaneous class fees.
What are expectations for parents? Will I be allowed to be involved in my child’s education?
Parental involvement is not only necessary and crucial to a child’s success, but a requirement at Valor Academy. We believe that parental involvement enhances learning and stimulates a child’s intellectual development. Parents are required to be partners with the school by signing a Parent Contract agreement to actively participate in their child’s education. This partnership includes parental volunteer hours, which is a critical element of the Parental Contract. A variety of opportunities will be provided to satisfy these hours. The parental responsibilities and volunteer options will be outlined and provided to the parent at the time of enrollment.
Does Valor Academy of Leadership receive public funding?
Yes. As public charter schools, funds are received from federal, state, and local government. State and federal funding comprise the large majority of our budget. In order to provide our students with a longer school day, week and year, and a well-rounded, college-preparatory education, we raise funds from private sources to fill the gap.Yes. As public charter schools, funds are received from federal, state, and local government. State and federal funding comprise the large majority of our budget. In order to provide our students with a longer school day, week and year, and a well-rounded, college-preparatory education, we raise funds from private sources to fill the gap.
Will transportation be provided?
Student transportation needs indicated during the enrollment process will determine if transportation is provided.
Is extended day care available before and after school?
Valor Academy of Leadership offers a Before & After-School Program for students in middle and high school. Parents are responsible for all associated fees. Morning care begins at 7:00 am and afternoon care ends at 6:00 pm.
- VWill enrollment be restricted to only African American girls?
- No. We will operate in accordance with Florida statutes with respect to non-discrimination. However, as stated in our mission, we will focus on preparing urban female students for successful academic careers.
- Can boys enroll?
- Yes. We will operate in accordance with Florida statutes with respect to non-discrimination. However, as stated in our mission, our focus and purpose will be preparing urban female students for successful academic careers.
- Will sports and extra-curricular activities be offered?
- We will offer sports and extra-curricular activities based on the demand of the student population.
- Will the schools follow the same calendar and hours as Duval County Public Schools?
- The academic leadership is currently evaluating the best practices and available research with regard to innovations and sustained academic improvements byValor of extended school days and a revised annual school calendar.
- Will Lunch be provided?
- Valor Academies will participate in the National School Lunch Program.
- Applications for Free and Reduced Lunch will be made available to parents.
Students not approved for Free and Reduced Lunch may also purchase lunch. Lunch cost will be given at the time of enrollment.
- Where will the schools be located?
- Current due diligence is focused in the Northwest Quadrant of Jacksonville to identify the optimal location for each school. Please register at www.valoracademyjax.org (website coming soon) as we confirm our location.
- What is the dress code for the school?
- All students must wear the designated school uniform.
- Are there any fees associated with attending Valor Academy?
- Although we are a tuition free public charter school, there are fees associated with certain items: Lunch, Extra-curricular activities, field-trips and other minimal miscellaneous class fees.
- How are students enrolled?
- Student enrollment will be based on receipt of the application/enrollment information and meeting enrollment requirements. Enrollment requirements include but are not limited to: previous school records, Immunization & Physical forms and a signed Parent Contract.